Thursday, August 29, 2013

Skinny Angel Food Cake with Cherries and Vegan Gluten Free RicemellowCream

When people think of a low-calorie dessert they normally don't realize that cake can fall under the low-calorie category. You can TOTALLY have your cake and eat it too!

I bet you didn't know that angel food cake is approximately 110 calories per serving. They are great on their own, but even better with your favorite topping - and still will be considered a low-calorie snack if you don't go overboard on the toppings. 



The other day I found Ricemallow at Whole Foods. I love it because of the all natural ingredients, this will now replace my Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Cream that I'm normally am obsessed with (although I'm sure I will still crave Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Cream from time to time). 


The consistency of Ricemellow  is a little lighter and thinner compared to Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Cream and the coloring is not white, not really sure how to describe the Ricemellow coloring.

Ingredients for Ricemellow: 
Brown rice syrup, soy protein, natural gums, and natural flavors. 

Ingredients for Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Cream:
Corn Syrup, Sugar, Water, Egg Whites, Artificial Flavor, Cream of Tartar, Xanthan Gum, Artificial Color (Blue 1). Contains: Egg.

Nutrition Information for Ricemellow:


Nutrition Information for Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Cream:






For myself, the obvious choice is Ricemellow because of the all-natural ingredients. 

What I Made:



I bought the mini angel food cakes from my local grocery store (Ralph's). They are normally located my the fresh fruits and vegetables.


I topped it will a little bit of Ricemellow Cream. 



I like to use canned fruit because of the syrup that's inside. This time I used canned cherries. I placed a bit of syrup on a little plate, then placed my angel food cake of top of the syrup. Last, I topped it with a single cherry. The cake will absorb the liquid. Be careful not to let it sit too long otherwise it will get soggy. Because these look great and are easy to put together they would make great desserts for a dinner party. Especially when you don't have much time to dedicate to deserts. Experiment with other topping. The choices are endless!  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Be sure to enter your email address (located on the top right sidebar). Also, would love for you to follow me on Facebook, instagram, twitter, pinterest, and YouTube... xoxo! Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs