Monday, July 22, 2013

Strawberry Cupcakes with Real Strawberries and Cream Cheese Icing

I wish I could be one of those people who bakes, cooks, and blogs daily. I have every intention of doing so, but everything else seems to get in the way. Most of the time I devour what I made before I even have a chance to take a good picture. 




I tend to buy a ton of fruit and rarely eat most of it, leaving me with this horrible guilty feeling. The other day I bought strawberries at Whole Foods - They were a ridiculously good deal (2 for $5.00). They were flawless, the ideal shade of red, and perfectly shaped.

Not more than 24 hours later they were starting to wilt! I barely wanted to eat the perfect ones, now for sure I didn't want to eat the wilted ones! Rather than throw them away I figured I would bake them into something tasty. So, that's how these cupcakes came about. You can use the recipe I have below - or take the shortcut and use cake mix and mix in strawberries. Be sure to make the icing - it's fantastic!

I used mint for the leaves 

Ingredients

3/4 cup fresh strawberries
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 large egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract

Cream Cheese Frosting
1 tsp strawberry flavoring 
2 8 ounce packages of cream cheese frosting
2 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup butter - softened 
Red food coloring

Use a mixer and mix together until smooth - add coloring until you achieve desired color

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Place 12 cupcake liners in a cupcake pan and set aside
In a food processor (or blender) add strawberries and process until pureed
Using a electric mixer with bowl, cream butter on medium high speed until lightly fluffy

Gradually add sugar and continue to mix until well blended. Reduce speed to low and slowly add one egg and egg whites and mix until lightly blended

Add vanilla extract

Mix together milk and strawberry puree

Alternate flour and milk mixture to mixer slowly ending with flour. Scrap down sides of bowl and continue to blend well

Using a ice cream scoop or tablespoon, add batter to prepared muffin cups

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Be sure to enter your email address (located on the top right sidebar). Also, would love for you to follow me on Facebook, instagram, twitter, pinterest, and YouTube... xoxo! Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs